Read this blog and much more at its new home, KevinMoyers.com!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Knock It Off, Oscars

Every year, Hollywood jerks itself off. From the expensive clothing to the ridiculous red carpet walks, it's a huge dick yanking to self. Here's the deal, Oscar, you don't win at art. It's not a competition. Art is meant to entertain. It's not a sport. It's there for interpretation. You can't decide who was most arty. That's just stupid.

Most of what hits theaters is shit these days. In the last year, I've only been compelled to see one movie in theaters. I find so much more on the independent front. By independent, I don't mean it's made by some celebrity that used twenty million dollars out of his own pocket. I mean real independent movies made for little money by true outsiders. Movies you refuse to acknowledge



I'm going to tell you something that might shock you. Meryl Streep is not that great. Like most actors, she's pretty much the same in every movie. I know you love her, but the fact is that she's no better than most.
I can't trust what you tell me is good. You once gave an original screenplay award to Lost in Translation. That movie was one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen. Your relevance went out the window at that point. You can tell me I don't get it, but you're lying, and I don't know why.

When you start acknowledging real indies and movies that deserve recognition, I'll start giving a shit about what you have to say. You give awards to movies you wished people would like, but half the time they're no good. Start including everyone, or stop existing. That's all that I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment